Position: Research Assistants
Location: Turkey or Germany
Time Frame of Assignment: March 23rd 2018 till July 23rd 2018 (4 Months)
Type of Work: Full-Time Job
Salary: USD 1800 per month
The Centre for Lebanese Studies (CLS) is conducting a comparative longitudinal study of the refugee education provisions (policies, programs and practices) in relation to the types of refugee settlement policies offered in four countries: Lebanon, Germany, Australia and Turkey. This study, which is funded by Spencer Foundation, will examine the development and progression of Arabic-speaking refugee children enrolled in formal schools in both, middle and secondary levels over a five-year period starting from 2018 till 2023.
The study aims to investigate and address the following questions:
- What are the various existing paradigms of education provisions (policies, programs and practices), for refugees in the selected destination countries offering short-, medium- and long-term settlement?
- To what extent have the various education provisions demonstrated the progression (or regression) of refugee education?
CLS is looking for Arabic – speaking researchers, living in Turkey or Germany (two in Turkey and two in Germany), to conduct and report the field work of this study. Researchers will be responsible for organizing and scheduling visits to 12 schools in the country where they are based. CLS will cover the researchers’ expenses related to the field work including transportation, hotel accommodation and visa fees to Lebanon (if applicable). The researchers will be offered as well perdiems to cover their expenses related to the fieldwork (transportation, lunch, and hotel accommodation when needed).
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Select schools that meet the research criteria.
- Contact schools and arrange for the interviews with students and their parents, school principals, teachers, and policy-maker.
- Travel to schools and conduct field work and data collection.
- Transcribe the interviews in the language employed during data collection.
- Translate the interviews into English.
- Report the data to the Centre for Lebanese Studies.
- Working with a strict framework of research ethics and confidentiality.
- Ability to travel to Lebanon between 20 and 27 March for team meeting and training (Note: Researchers should have the appropriate documents to travel to Lebanon).
- Ability to travel within the country where the fieldwork needs to be conducted.
- Constantly update the Project Coordinator at the Centre for Lebanese Studies on field work progress.
- Attend Skype meetings and phone calls with the team in Lebanon when needed.
Skills and Competencies
- Masters or Bachelor Degree in education, social studies or other relevant fields.
- 2 to 5 years’ experience in research.
- Dynamic attitude, multitasking skills and team player skills.
- Experience in data collection, interviews and questionnaires and data analysis
- Fluency in word processing, spreadsheets, and internet technology.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in Arabic and English for researchers living in Turkey and Germany.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in Turkish ( for researchers working in Turkey) and in German ( for researchers working in Germany)
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to details and high professionalism.
Interested researchers are required to send their curriculum vitae with the contact details of two references to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday January 31st, 2018. Please write in the subject line your full name and the country in which you will be present (Turkey or Germany).